In Centreon, it is possible to group together one or more objects within different groups:
- Host Groups
- Service Groups
- Contact Groups
Generally speaking, groups are containers in which sets of objects having a common property can be grouped together:
- Same material identity (Dell, HP, IBM, etc., servers), logical identity (network equipment) or geographical identity (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, etc.)
- Belonging to the same application (CMS application, etc.) or to a same sector of activity (Salary management, etc.)
Service Groups and Host Groups
Host groups and service groups are used to group together objects by logical entities. They are used to:
- Configure ACLs to link a set of resources to a type of profile
- Allow viewing of availability reports per group. Generate a “Paris Agency” availability report for resources.
- Enable viewing the status of a set of objects by selecting in the search filters of a group of objects
- Search several performance graphs quickly by browsing the object tree structure by group and then by resource
Generally speaking, we try to group together hosts by functional level. E.g.: DELL and HP hosts or Linux, Windows, etc., hosts. We also try to group services by application jobs. E.g.: Salary management application, ERP Application, etc.
For the hosts belonging to a host group, the retention of RRD files can be defined in the host group. This definition overrides the global definition. In the event that the same host belongs to several groups each possessing a retention definition, the highest value will be selected for the host.
Contact Groups are used to notify contacts:
- On definition of a host or of a service
- On definition of an escalation of notifications
In addition, the groups of contacts are also used during the definition of an access group.
Consequently, it is necessary to group together contacts in a logical way. Most of the time, they are grouped together according to their roles in the information systems. E.g.: DSI, Windows Administrators, Linux Administrators, Person in charge of the application of Salary Management, etc.
Creating a host group
Go to the Configuration > Hosts > Host Groups menu and click on Add
- The Host Group Name and Alias defines the name and the alias of the host group.
- The Linked Hosts list allows us to add hosts in the hostgroup.
- The Notes field allows us to add optional notes concerning the host group.
- The Notes URL field defined a URL which can be used to give more information on the hostgroup.
- The Action URL field defined a URL normally use to give information on actions on the hostgroup (maintenance, etc.).
- The Icon field indicates the icon to be use for the host group.
- The Map Icon is the icon use for mapping.
- The RRD retention field is expressed in days, it serves to define the duration of retention of the services belonging to this hostgroup in the RRD database. It will be the default duration defined in the Administration > Options > CentStorage menu if this value is not defined.
- The Status and Comments fields allow to enable or disable the host group and to make comments on it.
Creating a service group
Go to the Configuration > Services > Service Groups menu and click on Add
- The Service Group Name and Description fields describes the name and the description of the service group.
- The Linked Host Services list allows us to choose the various services that will be included in this group.
- The Linked Host Group Services list allows us to choose the services linked to a host group that will be part of this group.
- The Linked Service Templates list allows to deploy a service based on this template on all hosts linked to this group.
- The Status and Comments fields allow to enable or disable the service group and to make comment on it.
Creating a contact group
Go to the Configuration > Users > Contact Groups menu and click on Add
- The Contact Group Name and Alias fields define the name and the description of the contact group.
- The Linked Contacts list allows us to add contacts to the contact group.
- The Status and Comment fields allow to enable or disable the group of contacts and to make comment on it.