Generally, if an alert is triggered, a notification serves to contact one or more contacts (or groups of contacts). In the same way it is possible to send multiple notifications at regular time intervals.
An escalation of notifications serves to contact various groups of contacts during the notifications process or to change the means of notification (replace mails by an SMS). The definition of a notification escalation to a host, a host group, a service, a service group or a meta-service overwrites the normal configuration of notifications for this object.
E.g.: a service A is set to send notifications to a group of contacts “A” in case of Not-OK status. These notifications are sent every 5 minutes. If during a certain number of notifications sent the status of the service is still Not-OK, it is possible to contact the individuals of the group of contacts “B” etc...
Escalations of notification are convenient in the situation where level 1, level 2, level 3, etc., support level teams exist within a company. When a problem appears the level 1 support team is contacted. If after a certain time the level 1 team has not succeeded in solving the problem, the level 2 team is alerted, etc.
To add an escalation of notification:
- Go into the menu: Configuration > Notifications > Escalations
- Click on Add
- The Escalation Name and Alias fields serve to define a name and an alias for the notification escalation.
- The First Notification field allows us to choose the notification number as of which the group of contacts is alerted.
- The Last Notification allows us to choose the last notification number at which the group of contacts is alerted. If the group of contacts is the last level of the escalation the value of this field is 0.
- The Notification Interval field defines the notification interval between alerts.
- The Escalation Period field defines the notification time period.
- The Hosts Escalation Options and Services Escalation Options service escalation fields define the statuses of hosts and of services for which the escalation is used.
- The Linked Contact Groups defines the group of contacts to be contacted on triggering the escalation.
- The Comments field can be used to comment on the escalation.
Application of the escalation¶
To select the various objects that will be concerned by this escalation, the Hosts Escalation, Services Escalation, Hostgroups Escalation, Meta Service Escalation and Servicegroups Escalation tabs serve to choose the objects to which the escalations are applied.